
If I only could, make a deal with God
It's been a while, like usual, but this time I do plan to post more as I document the end of writing the first Rain book.
I was about 14 when I first watched the film Queen of the Damned. I know it was a pretty terrible adaption but I was enthralled. Vampires? Who ever thought they could be so cool, suave and modern? I had to learn more!
When I discovered the film was based off of a novel series, immediately I went to my local library and took them all out. I consumed every piece of literature I could find on vampires, reading myths, legends and novels by the bounty. I could not get enough.
As any story teller at heart, I knew I had to make this new fascinating world my own and Rain was created. Rain originally was a persona of mine in an online Roleplaying group. But, like with anything, I couldn't keep it simple I had to keep building onto the story, creating other characters to interact with her, posing as different people, building her world around me.
Rain originally was young, wild and adventurous, her maker cold and stoic and her love interest suave and dangerous. All so typical of a hormone driven teenage girl.
Then I chose to create her a daughter, suddenly she had a family a life, then two other characters were created, Junnette Farrel, a vampire woman that was a friend of hers and Jake Foriegn a human male hell-bent on uncovering the truth and condemning Rain.
After that it just grew so exponentially I don't truly remember what came next. I wrote the first novel that year (2002) over the summer. It was 60 pages long (at size 14 font and fully illustrated) I was so proud of myself that when I finished I began to work on sequals, bigger, better ideas were to come!
That was my high school life, Rain. A friend of mine had his own story that he was working on so together we read and edited each others' passages, writing in weathered notebooks during school and trading them between classes. Some of the more outlandish ideas were spawned from my desire to match the bizarre sci-fi futuristic world his story was based on and to this day makes me shake my head in wonder.
Here we are now, after nine years have passed since the very first word written and drawing was drawn. After three rewrites here I am on the verge of completing this novel again for what I dream to be the last time before it reaches the publishers.
It's one of those dreams that you have had so long, that you forget what you were doing it for or what the end result was supposed to be. I find it hard to envision actually sending this beast of a novel off to a publisher. I had told myself in high school I would be a comic book illustrator and writing would just be a side thing, but I want this more than anything now.
I know that this is the hardest part. The thousands of words and all the books I have read leading up to this point, I feel like I couldn't be better prepared but I have to keep scouring for more information. It's just getting there, so close to the top of the mountain I feel I can finally see it, this is something that just might come true, and I've never been more ready to fight for it.
Anything is possible. Everything is doable.
No comments:
Post a Comment