Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Even Now

Even now I can see you smile, I can hear you hum

My brother went home on Sunday. It was a good visit, mostly we spent our time playing video games and just hanging out, it was good to see him thought.

My brother was the first person to ever hear of the Rain storyline. We grew up in the middle of nowhere so our opportunities for getting into trouble or doing something stupid with our peers were limited so we had to find ways to entertain ourselves.

It's likely because of that environment that I progressed as far as I did with my writing and art. What else did I have to do?

I remember the summer that I sat down and wrote the original Rain story. I pounded it out over the two month period and when I wasn't writing I was illustrating for the story (to your left you will see one of the first drawings of Rain). The entire novel came out a sparse 20,000 words, which at the time was the most I had ever written.

I remember the day I completed it for the first time, how excited I was as I got my brother to sit down in my room in the sweltering heat as I read it to him for the first time.

From there I devised plots for sequels upon sequels and I alw
ays had a notebook with me so I had something to write in when an idea struck. I have countless notebooks and binders full of my scrawl, all under the name of Rain. A part of me always knew that Rain would become a book, I never doubted it, even though being a writer was the last thing in my mind about what I wanted to do.

My high school years were spent obsessing about these stories, everything I did came back into the books. I researched every aspect I could and read books upon books on vampires and other unearthly beings.

No matter what I have done in my life, Rain has always been there in the back of my head. I am probably a whackjob.

244,616


No comments: